Oracle Toad Team Coding
Sure, you can use source control and Teamwork server with Toad IDE that helps Developers and Database Administrators to manage code changes in Oracle Database with the confidence of no overwriting the changes of other team members.
Developers and Admins can work with same Procedures, Functions, packages triggers and Types and check-in – check-out their source code …A developer can reserve his source code to prevent any other developer to overwrite same source code.
Setup Team Coding:
– Login in Toad with DBA privileges (system, sys ..)
– Setup will create a new database schema in the Database server with “ Toad ” User Name (recommended to leave default name Toad) which will be as metadata provides the functionality to teamwork.
– This schema will be shared with all Work team without risk of override the changes made by other developers.
Remember: Developers could not edit source code unless
check-out File or database objects
Source code will be locked after Checked-in
Let us Start
Login to TOAD as sysdba (use DBA privileges )
Select Configure Team Coding:
Utilities menu > Team Coding > Configure Team Coding
The following message will appear. Click OK:
Click on Install Team Coding:
It is preferable to install Team Coding objects in standard TOAD schema. Select the tablespaces for the Team coding metadata. The database role TC_ADMIN_ROLE is used for:
- 1. Edit Team Coding Configuration
- 2. Edit Code Collections
- 3. Freeze Team Coding Objects
- 4. Break another user’s Team Coding lock
– Let us Test Team coding to record editing source code
The script to generate the Team Coding Objects will be displayed on the screen. Click Execute:
Enter the password for the TOAD database user:
Installation for Team Coding is completed (took less than a minute):
Now the database is configured to use Team Coding across all the schemas. Above steps are needed to be completed only once per database. Click on “Enable Team Coding for this Database”:
This setup is the basic setup, where working on a single object at a time gives enough control. Once you check out an object, it is available in Team Coding Dashboard.
– Create new Procedure
– Now press Check-in to lock your code and prevent update
– Press Check-in from toolbar or Team coding menu to lock your code
Record comment on your code before check-in
– To update source code – press chek-out
– Previewed and open team coding – Edit History
– Now as you see, any edit in Database objects from any member of your team will record in team Coding